Valentine’s Day Recipe
Seeing as Valentine’s day is on Friday we at Sold in the West thought it would be nice to give all you lovers out there a great stay at home Romantic dinner option. Take this opportunity to turn this highly commercialized “holiday” into a chance to spend quality time with your significant other in the kitchen learning a delicious new recipe, rather than sitting in the packed and expensive restaurant.
This recipe is simple and delicious, taking about 45 minutes to prepare and leaving you with plenty to eat for two.
Rack of Lamb with Mustard-Shallot Sauce
What you’ll need:
- 1 tablespoon + 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- One 2 ½ pound rack of Lamb
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Two medium sized shallots (sliced thinly)
- ¼ cup of dry white wine
- ¼ cup chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon whole grain mustard
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons chopped thyme
How to in 14 Steps for February 14:
- While the oven Preheat’s at 400°C.
- In Medium skillet heat the 1 tablespoon of oil (until shimmering).
- Season rack of Lamb with Salt and Pepper.
- Add Lamb to medium skillet (fat side down) cooking over med-high heat until brown (~approx 3 mins.)
- Flip Lamb and cook for another 3 minutes.
- Transfer Lamb to shallow baking dish and roast in oven for 20 minutes (thermometer in centre of rack should read 125° C providing you a nice medium-rare rack of lamb).
- Pull out of oven and place on cutting board letting it rest for 10 minutes.
- While the Lamb sits on the carving board, empty any fat from skillet.
- Place skillet back on medium heat, adding 2 teaspoons of oil and the shallots for 3 minutes (or until soft).
- Add wine and simmer for 2 minutes, then add stock and return to simmer for 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat adding whole grain and Dijon mustards and the thyme.
- Season the sauce with salt and pepper.
- Carve Lamb and place on warmed plates. Once your plate is dressed with your choice of sides (asparagus and rice are our suggestions), spoon the delicious sauce over your succulent meat and veggies.
- Serve and enjoy!